Saturday 26 November 2016

There's no place like home

As I'm being wheeled out of the hospital doors, I know that whilst it's not the last time I will be here (I'll still be coming back for clinics) I will not see a lot of the staff here again. They have been coming in and saying their goodbyes for several days. These people who everyday fight to save your life and then, when there is no more they can do, help you to plan your final months with the upmost care.

To every last member of the team who has helped me this admission – the Doctors, Nurses, Psychologists, Physiotherapists and Porters, I do not think I can ever thank you enough. Helping someone to plan their last months must be the most difficult job for any health professional. They are there, firstly to save lives and when this changes to end of life care I understand it must go against every natural instinct. But helping someone die with grace, dignity, comfort and without suffering is a very important flip side of the coin.

Arriving home was actually a lot more relaxed then I thought it would be, usually I struggle with the stresses of coming home from hospital with all the re-arrangements that are needed, especially when all I could really do was sit there and boss people around! But as I was saying, this time around, I actually just felt really happy and relaxed.

Since being home I have had my home carers come in and surprisingly I have slipped back into this old familiarity with ease. This has been made easier with it being the same company I had before my first transplant. The carers are people who really do care. I have to say that caring for people is a hard job and one that has to be within you as a person. What I mean is that it takes something special to help people and enable them to carry on living their lives, or in my case help them to live their lives whilst they die.

I’ve been making sure that I’m not just watching the world go by though and have ben arranging lots of special things to do;

-        A lodge break with my family for Christmas, there's a spa pool which I just want to float in while my oxygen tank sits in a rubber floating device.
-        A night in a treetop hotel which is on Port Lympne Reserve.
-        A trip to Glasgow with my sister to see my friend, Victoria, and our friend, Charlotte, is coming too. We have lots of fun things organised whilst we’re there.
-        Anthony Joshua fight which is something I wanted to do for my husband… I'm also super excited about as I’ve never been to a boxing fight.

These things run from now until January. In between all this I'm resting and spending time with friends and family whilst being snuggled up on the sofa or camped out up on my bed with my loyal companion, Kia. I feel reluctant to organise anything else past then at the moment as I don't know how long I’ve got, so I'm trying to just take one thing at a time and live every minute – creating memories that will last forever.


13 comments:

  1. I know that every day you will inspire those around you. Enjoy your time with family and friends. Miracles do happen. Sometimes it is the miracle of acceptance or comfort. Be happy. Stay in love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You simply are the best in all of us. You inspire me to treat every day like it's my last. I wish I could have met you in person. Someone asked me the other day "Name one person living or dead you would like to spend the day with?" Your name instantly jumped to mind. What a beautiful gift you are. Thank you for teaching me and others gratitude and unmatched grace.

    Amy Waddell
    Lansing, MI

    ReplyDelete
  3. You simply are the best in all of us. You inspire me to treat every day like it's my last. I wish I could have met you in person. Someone asked me the other day "Name one person living or dead you would like to spend the day with?" Your name instantly jumped to mind. What a beautiful gift you are. Thank you for teaching me and others gratitude and unmatched grace.

    Amy Waddell
    Lansing, MI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your family and friends

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy making your precious memories Kirstie. You are such a brave and inspirational young women. Lots of love you. Xxx💜

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're an inspirational girl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Kirstie! Glad to hear you're home & planning fun times. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Honey! I wish there was a way we could all help and chip in. I am blessed to have his chance to touch you back, as you have touched my life. There are some who choose to live in darkness and darkness will never enter your being. You live in the light and always will. Give life one last ride you will and you will make it last. Peace, Love, Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kirstie your total attitude is wonderful and I am sure will help so many others. Enjoy everything you have planned as o know you will. Sending love your way. Apologies if there are any typing errors but my eyes are leaking. I can't think why xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you Kirstie, enjoy your Christmas break and your first boxing match, God Bless,

    Kelvin. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely to see you have some exciting things planned. You can make memories that will last forever xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Kirstie from The Land Down Under - you are an inspirational woman and I trust that your special outings etc. will come to fruition for you and those involved in same. May you feel the presence of God in your living. Best wishes - Di

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristie, you inspire me daily. Your words are wise beyond your years and peaceful beyond understanding. You are an incredible young woman! XO

    ReplyDelete